Хочешь гулять?

As I mentioned in my last post, this is something all Russians do. In Russia you can spend an entire afternoon wandering aimlessly, making detours for food and drink when desired. What an awesome way to spend an afternoon or evening! It’s been a great way to get to know people and to see the sights.

After a seven-hour stroll, I have a better appreciation for how my neighbourhood fits into the social structure of Saint Petersburg and, in more basic terms, where my house is. Chances are you won’t begin to recognise the names of people that I throw into these blog posts, but today was spent with Sarah, Meg, Scott, Jackie and Steph. And of course Jackie’s host sister, Валерия (Valerie), who served as our tour guide and dictionary. I’d love to add a link to google maps to record our route but alas, I am without internet.

I got back from our stroll around 8 (I should mention that the sun sets at around 11pm here) and dinner quickly ensued. As last night, half a chicken breast and cooked vegetables- eggplant, tomatoes, onions and garlic – made it onto my plate. With pickles, cucumber, salad, barley, and bread with a caviar spread on the side, dinner made for quite a satisfying meal. As always, tea and pastries accompanied. Last night I ate separately from the family, as my host parents were eating later with friends. I was glad to be included today and did my best to follow conversation at the table. Perhaps in five months time I will be more capable, but tonight it was a stretch! That said, if Russian class involved the four shots with which I was provided, comprehension would be exponentially more difficult.

So what’s on my figurative plate for tonight? Very little. (I should mention that I’m writing this in my room at home, sans internet, and will upload at school tomorrow. (Photos of my room to come!)) So tonight – Chances are I’ll get started on Great Expectations, and I might do some work on that final project for Pintley, which is now somewhat overdue. No doubt one of these two should put me to sleep!

Tomorrow promises more time at Smolny, but also a great deal more free time. We have an exam of sorts, an assessment of our language level so that we can be placed in appropriate classes. Obviously I’d like to do my best, but it’s nothing to worry about. In the afternoon I’m hoping to investigate the gym-scene. Gyms here are known by the foreign term “Fitnesse Kloob”. One can only assume that this name was coined in Russia many centuries ago.

Here comes Yemilia, the family cat. He’s been very friendly so far. As always it’s great to have a pet around. And cats are particularly curious creatures. And there he goes. До завтра, Емелия. Speaking to a pet in another language feels weird, but it is essential for communication in this relationship. After all, Russian cats speak Russian, right?

Well that’s probably it from me this evening. Slept late, ate, walked for many hours, ate, reading, and possibly more eating. I think I can get used to this life.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe your Pintly project can include overseas expansion... Russian artisinal beers? Good reseach possibilities! Worldwide domination!
    xx

    PS - Grandmommy says 'Hi' - she is following your blog quite closely!

    ReplyDelete